INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
We collect and store information about you when you use the Service. We use the information to fulfill your requests, provide the Service’s functionality, improve the Service’s quality, personalize your experience, track usage of the Service, provide feedback to artists, galleries, third-party companies, restaurants, event promoters, cinemas, theatrical productions, or other venues listed on the Service, display relevant advertising, market the Service (collectively “Theaters”), provide customer support, message you, back up our systems and allow for disaster recovery, enhance the security of the Service, and comply with legal obligations.
Among the information we collect, please note:
- Account Information: If you create an account on Theater Engine, we may store and use your full name, email address, zip code, and other information you may provide with your account, such as your gender and birth date. Your name, as well as any photo you submit through the registration process, will be publicly displayed as part of your account profile.
- Public Content: The information that you contribute through the Site is intended for public consumption, including Your Content (as defined in the Terms) reviews, photos, comments, events, and account profile. We may display this information through the Service, share it with Theaters, and further distribute it to a wider audience through third party sites and services.
- Communications: When you sign up for an account or use certain features, you are opting to receive messages from other Theater Engine users, companies, theatrical productions, venues, and Theater Engine itself. You can manage some of your messaging preferences, but note that you cannot opt out of receiving certain administrative, transactional, or legal messages from Theater Engine. We may also track your actions in response to the messages you receive from Theater Engine or through the Service, such as whether you deleted, opened, or forwarded such messages. If you exchange messages with others through the Service, we may store them in order to process and deliver them, allow you to manage them, and we may review and disclose them in connection with investigations related to the operation and use of the Service. Although we do not and cannot monitor all transmissions, we may not deliver messages that we believe are objectionable, such as spam messages or requests to exchange reviews for compensation. We may also store information that you provide through communications to us, including from phone calls, letters, emails and other electronic messages, or in person. If you are a Theater listed on Theater Engine, we may contact you, including by phone or email, using the contact information you provide us, make publicly available, or that we have on record for your business.
- Transactional Information: If you initiate a transaction through the Service, we may collect and store information about you, such as your name, phone number, address, email, and credit card information, as well as any other information you provide to us, in order to process your transaction, send communications about them to you, and populate forms for future transactions. This information may be shared with third parties for the same purposes. Theater Engine does not disclose your personal information to third parties for the purpose of directly marketing their services to you unless you first agree to such disclosure. When you submit credit card numbers, we encrypt that information using industry standard technology.
- Activity: We may store information about your use of the Service, such as your search activity, the pages you view, and the date and time of your visit. We also may store information that your computer or mobile device provides to us in connection with your use of the Service, such as your browser type, type of computer or mobile device, browser language, IP address, mobile carrier, phone number, unique device identifier, advertising identifier, location (including geolocation, beacon based location, and GPS location), and requested and referring URLs. You may be able to disallow our use of certain location data through your device or browser settings, for example by disabling “Location Services” in iOS privacy settings.
Managing Cookies: It may be possible to disable some (but not all) Cookies through your device or browser settings, but doing so may affect the functionality of the Service. The method for disabling Cookies may vary by device and browser, but can usually be found in preferences or security settings. For example, iOS and Android devices each have settings which are designed to limit forms of ad tracking. Please note that changing any of these settings does not prevent the display of all advertisements to you.
Third parties may receive information about you as follows:
- Site Providers: We may rely on third party providers to perform certain services for us in connection with your use of the Service, such as communications and hosting services, network security, technical and customer support, tracking and reporting functions, quality assurance testing, payment processing, our own marketing of the Service, and other functions. We may share information from or about you with these third party providers so that they can perform their services. These third party providers may share information with us that they obtain from or about you in connection with providing their services. Third party providers may also share this information with their subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control. Some of our web pages may utilize framing techniques to serve content to you from our third party providers, while preserving the look and feel of the Service. In such cases, please note that the information you provide may be provided to the third party.
- Aggregate Information: We may share user information in the aggregate with third parties, such as advertisers and content distributors. For example, we may disclose the number of users that have been exposed to, or clicked on, advertisements.
- Investigations: We may investigate and disclose information from or about you if we have a good faith belief that such investigation or disclosure (a) is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process and law enforcement instructions and orders, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding, or other legal process served on us; (b) is helpful to prevent, investigate, or identify possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service; or (c) protects our rights, reputation, property, or that of our users, affiliates, or the public.
- Links: The Site may contain links to unaffiliated third party services. Except as set forth in the Terms or this Policy, we do not share your personal information with them, and are not responsible for their privacy practices. We suggest you read the privacy policies on or applicable to all such third party services.
- Theaters: We may provide your information to Theaters using our Site.
CONTROLLING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Other users may be able to identify you, or associate you with your account, if you include personal information in the content you post publicly. You can reduce the risk of being personally identified by using the Site pseudonymously, though doing so could detract from the credibility of your contributions to the Service.
Please also note that the messages you send or receive using the Site are only private to the extent that both you and the person you are communicating with keep them private. For example, if you send a message to another user, that user may choose to publicly post it. Also, Theater Engine may access and disclose such messages in the course of investigations relating to use of the Service.
DATA RETENTION AND ACCOUNT TERMINATION
Please note that if you are an artist or event presenter, you cannot remove your listings, ratings, or reviews by closing your account(s).
The Site is intended for general audiences and is not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information without parental consent, please contact us. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we take steps to remove such information and terminate the child’s account. If you are under 18 or the age of majority in your jurisdiction, any account you establish must be established and maintained by your parent or guardian. We do not permit minors to own or maintain accounts. If you become aware that your child or ward has established an account without your consent, please contact us to remove the account and associated personal information.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal customer information we share with third parties or corporate affiliates for those third parties or corporate affiliates' direct marketing purposes. That notice will identify the categories of information shared and will include a list of the third parties and affiliates with which it was shared, along with their names and addresses. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the address as follows:
Theater Engine L.L.C. – Att’n. California Rights
1662 West Hill Road
Northfield, VT 05663
Please allow 30 days for a response.
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or via mobile device, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Theater Engine L.L.C. – Att’n. Privacy
1662 West Hill Road
Northfield, VT 05663
10. CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Theater Engine does not disclose your personal information to third parties for the purpose of directly marketing their services to you unless you first agree to such disclosure. If you have any questions regarding this policy, or would like to change your preferences, you may contact us at the address listed above in Section 8.
Last updated February, 2017.